5/22/2005

"Leaving The Left"

Hat Tip Powerline

There is a growing chorus of individuals speaking out against the left from the very unique position of having been fully immersed within that culture. Today another voice has been added. Kenneth Thompson writes to powerline:

"I thought you might enjoy my essay from Sunday's San Francisco Chronicle. It's called "Leaving the Left" and it describes my realization (as a liberal) that what the American cultural left has become is deeply at odds with the core principles of true liberalism: freedom of expression, equal opportunity, and a willingness to fight to protect our way of life."

And some quotes from the essay:

"...I'm leaving the left -- more precisely, the American cultural left and what it has become during our time together.

I choose this day for my departure because I can no longer abide the simpering voices of self-styled progressives -- people who once championed solidarity with oppressed populations everywhere -- reciting all the ways Iraq's democratic experiment might yet implode.

My estrangement hasn't happened overnight. Out of the corner of my eye I watched what was coming for more than three decades, yet refused to truly see. Now it's all too obvious. Leading voices in America's "peace" movement are actually cheering against self-determination for a long-suffering Third World country because they hate George W. Bush more than they love freedom..."


"...All of which is why I have come to believe, and gladly join with others who have discovered for themselves, that the single most important thing a genuinely liberal person can do now is walk away from the house the left has built..."

What does one say to a leftie who's discovered that the modern left is wrong? CHEERS!