6/12/2005

I Figured It Out (Maybe)

Yesterday I posted the following:

When I Grow Up
When I grow up I'm going to take over a poor country, borrow $40,000,000,000.00 and waste it all on palaces and a military. Then, the bleeding hearts responsible for giving me the loan will forgive it. I'll get all my nice things and the solders to protect them for free. Sounds like a good scam to me. Aparently, it sounds like a good scam to
these folks as well.

"LONDON (CP) - Finance ministers from the Group of Eight industrialized nations, including Canadian Finance Minister Ralph Goodale, agreed Saturday to a historic deal cancelling at least $40 billion US worth of debt owed by the world's poorest countries.British Treasury chief Gordon Brown said 18 countries, many in sub-Saharan Africa, will benefit immediately from the deal to scrap 100 per cent of the debt they owe to the World Bank, the International Monetary Fund and the African Development Bank. "

Well, I think I clued into why they did it, and, thinking about it, I should have thought of it alot sooner.

There's this fella Named Bob Geldof who's putting this thing called "Live 8" together. It's supposed to be like "Live Aid" concerts from back in the 80's where all the money raised went to the dictators of African countries. Either that or go towards food that was left spoiling on the runway's of the countries run by said dictators. Live Aid was a complete flop. Live 8 is supposed to be different though.

The whole purpose behind Live 8 is to make the G-8 nations forgive their loans to the poorest countries around the world. In order to put some weight behing his new adventure, Mr. Bob G. called upon millions of people to protest in the streets and let their govt. reps know their will.

Well in order to avoid scenes like Seattle and other locations, the powers that be decided to pay the price. Instead of spending a few million on tear gas, pepper spray and rubber bullets they decided to spend 40 Billion. Instead of showing some spine and doing the right thing, they cratered like the french army... Whimps!