10/27/2005

Closer To Home I

...the Alliance leadership race gets nasty.

Randy Thorsteinson
Former Leader – Alberta Alliance Party

October 23, 2005 My Fellow Alberta Alliance Members,

I appreciate the opportunity to write to you today and am grateful for your continued support of the Alberta Alliance.

I have received countless telephone calls and e-mails asking me for my recommendation for the upcoming leadership election in the party. It was a difficult decision for me on whether to comment or not. I consider each one of the candidates my friends and will obviously disappoint three of them if I make a recommendation.

However, I realize that you have spent the last several years and more putting your trust in me. I am deeply humbled by your support and feel that I owe it to you to comment. I have had the opportunity to work with each of the candidates, especially through the 2004 election and understand their ability to grow the party. I feel I have a unique perspective because I understand what needs to be done and how each candidate’s strengths will work towards building the party.

After much thought I have decided to endorse Ed Klop for Leader of the Alberta Alliance.

[snip]

In fairness I owe it you to explain why I haven’t endorsed the other candidates.

Paul Hinman: It will be impossible for Paul Hinman to build the party as the leader.

[snip]

Marilyn Burns: Much like Paul, Marilyn simply doesn’t have the time to be the leader of the party.

[snip]

David Crutcher: I like David as an individual but can not support him for several reasons.

- He wants to implement an Alberta GST.
(source: Leadership Debate – Freedom Radio Network - September 24, 2005)

- He supports turning the Alberta Alliance into a separatist party. There already is a separatist party and it failed miserably. The Alberta Alliance is not a separatist party.
(source: Leadership Debate – Edmonton Oct. 17, 2005)

- His campaign manager Craig Chandler said: “Alberta Alliance had left wing policies, extreme left wing.” “David would never defend the AA's previous policies” “The current AA policies (although tabled for defeat) are left wing rubbish.”

(source: www.ProjectAlberta.com - September 14, 2005)

David Crutcher has never publicly chastised Craig Chandler or fired him for his anti-Alberta Alliance policies comments. Certainly he could have hired some other campaign manager that supported Alberta Alliance policies. I simply can’t support David. I don’t want a provincial GST. I am not a separatist and Craig Chandler has crossed the line in his attacks on the party, other candidates and our members.

[snip]


Ouch!