3/20/2006

The Left Is Scared

And that suits me just fine.

...The idea of sweeter, smoother, and more politically sophisticated statements from the religious right may not comfort the secularists among us, especially since so many faith-based groups are springing up into a policy network that, broadly speaking, leans right. In Ottawa alone, the new National House of Prayer and the Institute of Marriage and Family Canada, connected to the powerful U.S. group Focus on the Family, are joining the more established Evangelical Fellowship of Canada, Real Women of Canada and the Laurentian Leadership Centre, an Ottawa offshoot of the Christian university Trinity Western in Langley, B.C.

The tiptoeing quality of Mr. Manning's advice, and a similarly eerie silence from some previously-outspoken candidates in the last election, reinforces the idea of the Stealth Evangelist, the so-called "hidden agenda" of the religious right...

Now, a guy's got to wonder what exactly it is that has those folks on the left so scared.

It's the thought of having to be responsible and accountable for ones self as illustrated within this past weeks posts. Most notably is the discussion on abortion. Our friend and lib-left commenter Peter D. let me drag it out of him:

"You are using rape as an excuse Peter. You're just not being direct about it. Let's make it easy on ourselves fro here on in. Lets agree that an abortion should be allowed in the case of a rape. Fair enough? Good!"

I was never using rape as an excuse Richard, I was simply saying that it was disgusting to outlaw abortions in the case of rape. We agree on this. I'm not sure why you are saying I am using it as an excuse.

"I'm kind of disturbed by your last paragraph Peter. What you're trying to tell us is that people have no self control. I see that is nothing more than pure projection on your part. Just because you may have no self control, doesn't mean that no one else has."

I am realist Richard who lives in the real world. People have urges and feel that, lo and behold, they have the right to follow through on them. That's why we have birth control. For you to believe that people will resist their natural urges until they get married, well, I think we know how that has worked out. No projection Richard, just realism.

Peter D Homepage 03.19.06 - 11:52 am #

I can't say that Peter speaks for the lib-left but his comments are standard fare when discussing issues of morality.

They don't want anyone to be held accountable. For anything.

As an aside, I should note the following. I'm not a religious man. It's been well over 20 years since I've been to church and I don't know how long it's been since I've prayed. I don't buy into the idea that one has to be part of an organized religion to have a relationship with God or Christ. I can't say with any certainty that the Bible or Koran or any of the other religious texts are the word, or work, of God. I do however see them as somewhat of a road map and don't think they should be discounted or dismissed so easily.

When one looks back at societies and civilizations, the ones that have survived and prospered always have strict moral and cultural guidelines attached to them. Look at the Chinese as an example of that (I'm using the Chinese specifically because their culture has never been dominated by Christianity). They've survived for thousands upon thousands of years. The civilizations that failed; Rome, the Greeks and the Egyptians, threw out any cultural rules, and let anarchy reign, as the progressives or lib-left wish us to do now.

I guess what I'm saying here is that religion and conservatism don't necessarily go hand in hand. Rather, to be conservative one must be willing to look back and discern what has worked and what hasn't and choose a path forward from there. Religion is just one of the things we can look to within that process.

Think about it...