4/15/2006

Postcard From Ontario

Dear Richard

Long time no write, my apologies for that. I like what you have done with the place but, alas, you are too much like my wife: you keep re-painting. Every time I visit here, I wonder what it’s going to look like. I’ll tell you what I don’t have the guts to tell her – it doesn’t matter. It is the lives lived within the house, the words written, the deeds performed that matter. Colour of the wallpaper – superfluous.

Quite a week I’ve had Richard – you’ll like this one. The plant whom I sell my labour to is unionized. CAW in fact. Written into our contract is a clause that we will all attend “union awareness training.” This is leftist brainwashing on company time, and it’s unbelievable. I suspect if the company knew what they were getting for their money, it would be gone in a heartbeat. Last time I went, some guy showed up with a pillow and slept until lunch everyday. Me? I read newspapers until lunch, a novel after. For the union this is a job creation program, so they could care less if you paid attention, and I didn’t. Wednesday was the best Richard. The subject was globalization and we spent the day hearing about evil American corporations. Truthfully, they make a compelling case. What they do is they pick the worst examples of corporate malfeasance and treat it like it is the norm. Add in a few David Suzuki videos, some old CBC show (it’s amazing how often the video we watched was CBC) featuring Judy Rebek and the brainwash is on. The big example is, of course, the Union Carbide explosion in Bhopal India. But, and here’s the good part Richard, one of the instructors through this, chatting away about evil corporations who don’t care about life, was wearing a Che Guevara sweater. Not some cheap sweatshop t-shirt mark you, but a very expensive embroidered sweater. Couldn’t afford that on those Cuban wages – damn Americans.

But it was not all about me this week. Out here in Ontario el Che wasn’t the only murderous bastard on the radar. This time last week the OPP (our provincial police) discovered eight bodies stuffed in four vehicles in a small town about an hours drive from Hespeler. All eight were motorcycle enthusiasts and belonged to a small club called the Bandidos. Hmmm, eight dead Bandidos said the ever-cautious media. Must be the Hell’s Angel; there must be a biker war on!

Ooops. By Monday, the police had arrested a whacko member of the Bandidos and four accomplices. Not a biker war, an internal cleansing - oh wait, it was drug deal gone bad -- oh wait it was a hit on the guy charged, and all eighth guys couldn't do it -- oh wait the OPP followed the eight to the site of the murders, then left when they realized where the eight were going, even though there was kilos, and kilos of coke in the trunk -- oh wait, there was 4 assassins on there way from Chicago to kill, well someone. Damn Americans.

Yes it's been quite a week, the media playing absolute guessing games about what the hell happened. Of course, that's what they have to do when you know there will be a publication ban on evidence before long. Nothing like a secret trial to warm the hearts of Che lovers everywhere, and Trudopia is full of Che lovers now aren't we?

Speaking of hired assassins, justice sunk to a new low this week in Ontario. It seems some mafia hit man, and an accomplice, who is, ironically, a Hell's Angel, went for a shoot up in Toronto a couple of years ago. Like a movie scene where they say "There he is" shoot up the sandwich shop were their mark is standing in, and then say "no, that's not him." Meanwhile a lovely lady, mother of three, including a severely disabled child, lies on the ground paralyzed. Louise Russo, the victim, was this week paid $2 million as part of a plea. You know how pleas work Richard, I do such and such; you give me less jail time. So our Mafioso hit man gets 10 years for shooting up a sandwich shop on a botched hit. No one has yet to explain to me why this guy should ever see daylight again, but hey what do I know.

Now, I am reliably told there is something wrong with "people like you (me)" for suggesting that the money paid actually bought less prison time. But really, how far left do you have to be to not understand, money is used to purchase. You get a good that you want when you spend money. If you spend money as part of your plea bargain, what did you buy? Time, I say. But hey, what do you expect from people like me. So in six or so years Mr. mafia hit man will again be wandering the streets, and people like me will continue to fret. Now what would Che Guevara say to a guy who had $2million to spend on his own plea bargain? That's the conversation I would really like to have been listening in on this week.

Have you heard by the way Richard? The flags in Leaf nation are flying half mast this evening, including this one which I captured today – somebody picked Tampa on the Pro-line methinks. Ah well, 39 down… ( to go. I’m sure you have nothing but sympathy Richard. How are the Flames doing anyway? Not so good maybe – I haven’t really been following hockey the past few years.

Almost midnight Richard, so I better say good night.
Have a wonderful Easter, and keep an extra eye out for bunnies on the road while you are heading to church tomorrow morning. As for me, I don’t do church but I suspect that J.S. Bach’s St. John’s Passion will get some headphone time tomorrow.
As per usual I am…

having a Liberal time, wish I was there.

Brian